Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Althea Joseph’s review of Montreal Reggae Festival Dancehall Night 2012



On Saturday, August 18th the city of Montreal in the province of Quebec was buzzing with excitement as the 2nd night of the 9th staging of the Montreal Reggae Festival (dancehall night) took place. The event which usually pulled some of the biggest names in dancehall did not disappoint this year. It featured Assassin aka Agent Sasco, Popcaan, Konshens, Karamanti, Chris Martin and several others. The promoter ensured that not only Jamaican artists were on the bill but local Canadian acts as well.

The line-up of Jamaican acts did not disappoint. Karamanti, who is an upcoming artist from Maria Jackson Entertainment camp, left the crowd wanting more!  It was nice to see the females representing and working hard to prove that they are here to stay! Female artist in the dancehall industry has to work twice as hard to get their respect. They want you to know that they are just as talented, just as deserving of the respect and recognition the male artists receives in the music industry. I am personally proud of them.

Christopher Martin worked the stage and gave it his all as if it was his last show. That young man can sing and he got the young ladies all fired up. In my opinion Mr. Martin left every female in the audience satisfied with his performance.

He was followed by Popcaan who has more of a hardcore dancehall following, he gave them their medicine of some of his trending songs and kept them wanting more. After exiting the stage his fans wanted an encore but he did not comply. I guess he thought they had enough!

Then came Konshens, this brother knew exactly what to do to keep this crowd engaged. He brought a young lady up on stage and gave a seductive performance, it was all in the name of crowd pleasing fun, and the young woman was a good sport. This excited the audience and they went wild.

The artist that closed the show was Assassin, talk about a performer! Assassin is a very outspoken artist and he did not hold back. He intrigued the audience and I’m sure for those seeing him for the first time, it will not be their last. He worked that stage, man that guy is energetic! He even went as far as to address the guys wearing their pants underneath their butt. After concluding his performance, he was called back on stage because the audience could not get enough of him.

I must say I am glad that I had a chance to see Assassin (AKA agent Sasco) because he is one of my favorite dancehall artists. I can also now add Mr. Martin and Konshens to that list because it was my first time seeing them on stage and they satisfied my musical craven. I love dancehall music but I will only spend my money to see an artist that never fails to give me my monies worth and more!

Story by Althea Joseph

No comments: